Click here for PDF of Instructions
1. We have designed this web-based application to be secure and convenient. If you have any questions as you complete your application, please contact Carolyn Sherman, NDIAS Events & Fellowships Program Manager, at email@example.com. Cookies are required for the online application to function correctly. Cookies are typically enabled by default in most web browsers. However, in Safari they are not set by default. So, for example, if you are using Safari, you can find instructions for turning on cookies at: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677. You may also try a different browser, such as Firefox or Chrome, if you encounter problems.
2. Before proceeding, we recommend that you review the fellowship descriptions, eligibility requirements, and expectations found on the Residential Fellowships and Frequently Asked Questions pages on the NDIAS website.
3. Your application will be downloaded for internal and external reviewers and the NDIAS Fellowship Selection Committee exactly as you type it into the system. Therefore, please complete your online application carefully, with appropriate attention to spelling, case (please do not type using all capital letters), punctuation, and grammar.
4. Please use the "Previous" and "Next" buttons as you navigate through the application (do not use the "Back" function of your browser). This is the safest way to preserve your work as you complete the application. Please save your work before proceeding to the next page or before exiting the system.
5. You must save your work before exiting the application. The "Save Application" button is at the bottom of each application page. If you do not click "Save Application," anything entered since your last save on that screen will be lost. You will be automatically logged out of the application when you close your browser window.
6. You may return to any of these pages by logging in on the application portal page.
7. Once your application is submitted for review, it will no longer be possible to change it. If you have changes to your application after its submission, please notify the NDIAS Fellowship program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. The NDIAS Residential Fellowship Application must be submitted in English using Times New Roman 12-point font (or its equivalent). The application is comprised of the following:
(a) completed online application form;
(b) current curriculum vitae (no more than four pages);
(c) proposal abstract (no more than 400 words);
(d) fellowship research proposal (no more than six pages, double-spaced);
(e) proposal bibliography (no more than two pages, single-spaced);
(f) (optional) up to two pages of non-text materials supporting the research proposal;
(g) one writing sample (from faculty residential applicants who have completed doctoral or other terminal degrees after 2011);
(h) (optional) cover letter; and
(i) three letters of reference (please see note on professional reference letter requirements).
9. NDIAS Residential Fellowship Applications for 2017-2018, including letters of reference and all supporting documentation, must be received at the NDIAS by 11:59 p.m. (EDT) on Saturday, October 15, 2016.
Note to Applicants Regarding Professional Reference Letters:
No more than one reference letter may be submitted from someone at the applicant's home institution.
SUBMISSION of your completed application (i.e., you have entered all the required information, attached all the required documents, and selected the “Submit” button) will trigger a message to each referee asking for a letter of reference to be submitted on your behalf. Please do not let your application remain “incomplete”; even if you have entered your referees' email addresses and saved your application, notification to each referee will occur only after you have completed all sections of your application and successfully selected "Submit."
If you need additional time to complete and attach application documents, yet wish to notify your referees in advance in order to provide them with ample time for the preparation of your letters, please email your referees before you complete your application. Please provide your referees with the email address you will use in your application (they will need this information to submit their reference for you) and send them the following link (http://fs16.formsite.com/NDIAS/form39/index.html) to upload their letters of reference or send them this PDF with instructions for referees. Referees will receive an automatic request for a letter of reference once a completed application is submitted. Referees who submit letters before applicants submit their final applications may ignore this request.
Submitting Your NDIAS Fellowship Research Proposal
Fellowship research proposals should be in English, in Times New Roman 12-point font (or its equivalent), no longer than six pages (double-spaced), and formatted in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat (pdf).
In the research proposal, applicants should provide a thorough explanation of their project and its significance, including:
(1) how the proposed research aligns with the intellectual parameters, mission, and goals of the Institute (please see ndias.nd.edu/about);
(2) preliminary objectives for the research to be conducted [This section should include an overview of the project, intended results (such as whether the research might result in a book, refereed journal article, art work, etc.), and the expected audience.]; and
(3) the proposed work plan (including what research or work has already been accomplished, what will be done during the fellowship period, the methodology to be employed, and the organization of the scholarly project, book, or other work expected from research conducted during the fellowship).
N.B.: Because the selection committee and external reviewers are composed of scholars from a wide range of disciplines, applicants should ensure that the significance and originality of their project and explanations of relevant methodologies and project objectives are stated clearly for specialists outside of the applicant’s field.
Requirements for Letters of Reference
(1) Referees should provide an understanding of the applicant’s ability to contribute intellectually and collegially to a cooperative community of scholars at the Institute as well as insight on the intellectual quality of the applicant’s research capabilities. Form letters or letters drafted for other purposes (for example, letters drafted for job applications) are not necessarily supportive of an applicant's qualifications for NDIAS Fellowships.
(2) Reference letters should be formatted in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat (pdf).
(3) Reference letters should be written in English. If this is impossible, we reserve the right to request a translation.
(4) Referees must include their own name, title, and institutional affiliation in their letters.
(5) Letters of reference should be addressed to “Dr. Brad S. Gregory, Director of the Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study.”
(6) Referees must submit their reference letters online via the following link: (http://fs16.formsite.com/NDIAS/form39/index.html).
(7) Reference letters must be received at the NDIAS by 11:59 p.m. (EDT) on Saturday, October 15, 2016. Consideration of letters received after that date cannot be guaranteed.
(8) No more than one reference letter may be submitted from someone at the applicant's home institution.
- The referees you have identified in your application will receive email notification when you select the "Submit" button upon the completion of your NDIAS Residential Fellowship application. However, we suggest that you provide your referees with advance notification about your application so that they will have ample time to submit their letters by the application deadline.
- Please provide your referees with the email address you will use in your application (they will need this information to submit their reference for you) and send them the following link (http://fs16.formsite.com/NDIAS/form39/index.html) to upload their letters of reference or send them this PDF with instructions for referees.
- Consider sending your referees a copy of your fellowship proposal and the NDIAS requirements for professional letters of reference. Letters that are too general or have been created for use with job applications are not useful to the internal and external reviewers and to the NDIAS Fellowship Selection Committee when making their recommendations and selections.
- The NDIAS Residential Fellowship Application portal will notify you each time a letter of reference is submitted on your behalf to the NDIAS.
The NDAS Fellowship application period for 2017-2018 has closed. Awards will be announced in spring 2017. Please direct questions to Carolyn Sherman, NDIAS Events & Fellowships Program Manager, at email@example.com.