Before proceeding, we recommend that you review the fellowship descriptions, eligibility requirements, and expectations found on the Graduate Fellowships and Frequently Asked Questions pages on the NDIAS website.
Your application will be completed and submitted using Interfolio. Applications must be submitted in English using Times New Roman 12-point font (or its equivalent). The application is comprised of the following:
- completed online application form;
- current curriculum vitae (no more than four pages);
- proposal abstract (no more than 400 words);
- fellowship research proposal (no more than six pages, double-spaced);
- proposal bibliography (no more than two pages, single-spaced);
- (optional) up to two pages of non-text materials supporting the research proposal;
- one writing sample (from faculty residential applicants who have completed doctoral or other terminal degrees after 2014);
- (optional) cover letter; and
- three letters of reference (please see note on professional reference letter requirements).
In the research proposal, applicants should provide a thorough explanation of their project and its significance, including:
- how the proposed research aligns with the intellectual parameters, mission, and goals of the Institute (please see ndias.nd.edu/about);
- preliminary objectives for the research to be conducted (this section should include an overview of the project, intended results [such as whether the research might result in a book, refereed journal article, art work, etc.], and the expected audience); and
- the proposed work plan (including what research or work has already been accomplished, what will be done during the fellowship period, the methodology to be employed, and the organization of the scholarly project, book, or other work expected from research conducted during the fellowship).
N.B.: Because the selection committee and external reviewers are scholars from a wide range of disciplines, applicants should ensure that the significance and originality of their project and explanations of relevant methodologies and project objectives are stated clearly for specialists outside of the applicant’s field.
If you have any questions as you complete your application, please contact Kristian Olsen, NDIAS Fellowships Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note to Applicants Regarding Professional Reference Letters:
- Please submit your letters of reference through the Interfolio system. Your letter writers will receive instructions from Interfolio about how to upload their letters as soon as you enter their contact information and request a recommendation in the system. They will receive these instruction and be able to upload their letters even if other parts of your application are incomplete.
- You can submit your application even if your references have not been received. Your letters will automatically be attached to your application as they are uploaded, even if you have already submitted the application.
- Interfolio will notify you each time a letter of reference is submitted on your behalf.
- Consider sending your letter writers a copy of your fellowship proposal, a link to the NDIAS website, and the NDIAS requirements for professional letters of reference. Letters that are too general or have been created for general use with job applications are not useful to our reviewers when making their recommendations and selections. The best letters explain why an applicant and his/her project is a good fit for our program in particular.
- Letters are due by September 16, 2019. We will attempt to include letters received after this date in your file for consideration by our reviewers; however, we cannot guarantee that this will be possible for letters received after the deadline.
All 2020-2021 NDIAS Residential Fellowship applications, including letters of reference and supporting documentation, must be received at the NDIAS by 11:59 p.m. (EDT) on Monday, September 16, 2019. Awards will be announced in spring 2019.
Please direct questions to Kristian Olsen, NDIAS Fellowships Program Manager, at email@example.com.